Saturday, May 22, 2010

Public Speaking

Today I got to speak to three separate classes of 9th graders at my daughter's school. It was a lot of fun. I think they learned some things, and I know I learned some things.

For one thing, I learned that whereas I'm terrified standing up in front of adults and talking, I actually had a lot of fun standing up in front of kids and talking. I seemed to inspire them, and give them ideas and questions, because they were attentive the whole time (55 minutes each class) and had a lot of good questions - even to the point of lingering after they needed to be leaving and going on to the next class.

Wow, some of you kids may actually come read my blog, now that I think about it. So, hurray for the 9th Grade at Canyon Park Jr. High! There I knew that would cheer you up. Nothing like school patriotism, and my daughter goes there too, so I can stand behind it.

(Yes, I know I'm calling that "attentive" when you were really whispering to each other and passing notes around, and drawing... but you were listening too because I noticed that the ones who were doing the most whispering and sketching were also asking the most questions!)

Hmmm.... maybe your teachers give you points for asking questions?

I digress.

Hopefully, I inspired those kids in a couple of ways:
* to believe in themselves and work hard to follow their passion in the arts (whether it is writing, or making movies or music, or computer games or whatever)
* to realize that it is HARD WORK and not talent that in the end will make you successful. (Although it is particularly good to have some talent too)
* to discover that there are a lot of different options and possibilities for careers having to do with both the arts and computer sciences (my other field)

Anyway, a great bunch of kids, and all-in-all a great day!

After I got home, I worked all afternoon and evening on the Amazon version of my book. Hopefully I'll have that available soon.

~ Basil

No comments:

Post a Comment