Saturday, May 15, 2010

Fae Explorers

If you've read The Triskaidek, then you know there's a group of older Fairy Scouts called Fae Explorers. While I was working on The Triskaidek I created a group of Fae Explorers to read various revisions of the book, and give me feedback. I created a point system that was heavily weighted in favor of finding typos, and next to that giving me personal suggestions for improvement of characters, scenes and so on. I set up a special web site, behind the current existing Camp Fae web site (if you are clever and have fairy instincts you can figure out how to get to it...) that the Fae Explorers could use to give me feedback, but it ended up that the most substantial feedback came in the form of handing me my book back with tons of post-it-notes in there.

I had both kids and adults in my group of Fae Explorers, and that worked really well. I got some great feedback and it really helped me make the book better. Collectively they found more than 300 typos (yes, more than one per page). I could not have hired an editor who could have done better than that!

Well, today was the Day of Reckoning. I went through and tallied up everyone's points. There were three levels of rewards: if you earned more than 10 points, more than 20 points or more than 30 points.

Well, here's the amazing results:
* I had exactly THIRTEEN prize-winners!
(no, I did not - could not have planned that!)
* I had way more > 30 point winners than I ever expected. 7 actually.
* the top winner had 250 points, and they were ALL from finding typos!

What can I say? It has been a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment